Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My first item

After struggling a bit to understand all of the intricacies of GreyGhost's tutorial, I gave up and spent some time  playing (I mean evaluating) MC 1.8.0.

That actually inspired me to get back into the modding, and after a bit of lookingI found that there was another tutorial, more along the lines of what I am doing here.  This one is written by Bedrock Miner, and can be found here.

So today I'm off and making my first item.  Although there were many ups and downs along the way, here are a few of the take-home messages I got.

First, be careful of capitalization.  If your modname is lowercase but your class name is mixed case, make sure you know which is necessary.  If you are using MODID to map to your resources for the texture map, make sure the directory is using the same case as the string in question.

Also, be careful with your events.  I had put some code in my preInit event that for some reason I had unregistered as an event handler, which made is so my item never showed up.  That was annoying.

So, I'm an idiot, but I managed to get a basic item added in.  Now on to making the thing actually DO something, which promises to be even more fun.

Mucho thanks to GreyGhost and Bedrock Miner, your tutorials are really, really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment